Accidents across the border
It is one thing to be in an accident while on home soil, but what do you do if the accident is across the border? What should you do? Who do you call? Follow these steps for a smoother third party claims procedure.
1. Call the police
It doesn’t matter how small the accident is, call the police.
- Accident reports will be needed by the respective insurance companies to start the claims process.
- A full report will be made of the whole incident, which has to be done within 24hrs of the accident.
- Make sure that you have your case number for future reference as well.
2. Get organised
Make sure that you organise yourself after an accident. Get the following items out of the car as soon as possible.
- Warning triangles or an emergency flare. This should be in the boot of your car and will warn passing motorists that there is a hazard.
- Pen and paper to take down the details of the third party. You’ll need to provide this to your insurance company.
- Use your phone to take photos of the damage to both vehicles for future reference.
3. If it’s a medical emergency
- Make sure that no one is hurt, yourself included.
- Check yourself and all of the passengers for any bruises, scratches or disorientation.
- Call an ambulance if you have any doubts about the wellbeing of anyone involved in the accident.
4. Move the vehicles
- If you are able to, move the vehicles out of the road to prevent any further accidents from happening.
- If you can’t move the vehicles from the road, passengers and drivers should remain in the car with seat-belts fastened.
- Don’t panic while waiting for help to arrive and remember to switch on your hazard lights.
5. Claim from your insurance
Your insurance company needs to be notified within 24hrs, but that isn’t the same as lodging a claim.
- When lodging a third party claim for accidents that happen across the border, you need to do so within 24hrs of the accident.
- Your insurer will then advise you where your vehicle can be towed to and send an approved towing company to assist you.
- Don’t let any old company tow your vehicle away, especially if you aren’t familiar with your surroundings.