Understanding property insurance
With a great address, comes great responsibility – so doesn’t it make sense that you have great insurance too? Here is everything you need to know about homeowner’s insurance:
What do you get?
How does peace of mind sound? Knowing that your biggest investment is protected by an insurance policy does help you sleep a little bit better at night.
- Your property insurance will cover you in the event of a natural disaster, so hail damage doesn’t have to worry you anymore.
- Damage caused by water is also under your policy. For those unsettling times when you have bursting or overflowing water tanks or pipes.
- Your homeowners’ cover means that accidental damage – like a drunk driver smashing through your garden wall – doesn’t leave you out of pocket.
What isn’t covered?
Here is what property insurance policies don’t cover, and why:
- Gradual deterioration of your property isn’t covered either, so make sure that you do regular maintenance, like cleaning the gutters and replacing broken roof tiles.
- The same applies when your pets chew or soil your brand new, wall-to-wall carpets.
No one wants to think about what happens when you have to claim, but it does help knowing that your property insurance can come with a few added extras:
- Like, having a security guard on site following a loss or damage to your property by an insured event.
- If you need locks and keys replaced or changed entirely, then you can call on your insurer following an insured peril (a break-in). This can’t be done when the in-laws come to visit though.