What is third party insurance?
Think of third party insurance as a bite-sized version of comprehensive insurance. Any damage that you cause to a third party (like another vehicle or person) is covered by your insurance policy, potentially saving you thousands in the event of a third party claim. But, it doesn’t cover your damage at all, so you will still be spending some money on your own repairs.
When is third party insurance worth getting?
Taking out third party insurance is a great idea if you fall into one of the following categories:
- If your vehicle isn’t currently insured! Any type of cover is vital for responsible vehicle ownership, so third party car insurance is the perfect choice.
- If you don’t owe any money on your vehicle and just want to have some protection against third party claims.
- If you’re on a budget, but want to make sure that you don’t have to sell your first born to pay for the claim.
What isn’t covered?
- You won’t have any insurance cover if your vehicle is hijacked or stolen.
- You don’t have any cover if your vehicle is damaged in an accident, but the other vehicle will have cover if the accident was your fault.
- If you need to have a windscreen repaired or replaced, this is going to come out of your own pocket.
- Third party liability is covered, so if someone is injured or dies in an accident, you would be covered for a certain amount through your insurance company.
There you have it, third party insurance in a nut-shell. So you can show off your knowledge when your friends ask about keeping their car safe!