Funeral plans 101
Why do you need funeral cover? Does it cover everyone in your family? When does it pay out? Here is our quick guide to everything you need to know about funeral insurance.
Why should you get funeral cover?
The loss of a loved one is not only a traumatic experience, but can also be a heavy financial burden. Where will you find the thousands of Rands needed for a funeral? Planning a funeral is never something we want to do, but it is made easier when we have a family funeral plan in place.
Here are some reasons why funeral cover for extended family as well as your immediate family is so important:
- Funeral cover is designed to ease the financial burden of the cost of a funeral.
- This is done by providing the beneficiary of the policy with a lump sum payment to assist in paying for the funeral.
- Great funeral cover will cover more than just the funeral expenses, but also offer some smaller benefits to make this trying time a little easier.
- The lump sum that is paid after the death of a loved one can be used at your discretion for funeral arrangements to suit your family.
We don’t like to think about it, but death is a part of life and something that we should be planning for. Investing in a family funeral plan is a responsible choice to make for the sake of you and your loved ones.
Must-have features of funeral cover
These features should come standard with your family funeral plan:
- Funeral cover with no waiting period should be possible in the event of an accidental death.
- In the event of the main member or their spouse passing away, the amount paid out should be doubled in the event of an accidental death.
- Payout should be within 48hrs of receiving all the necessary documentation.
Should-have features for family funeral cover
These benefits should help funeral arrangements run smoothly:
- Grocery benefits that are paid out immediately with the funeral claim. This is to help feed all the guests who will be attending the funeral.
- Airtime vouchers, so that the beneficiary can make all the important phone calls needed to arrange a funeral.
- Being able to add your domestic worker to your family funeral plan is another important feature that your funeral cover should have.
Could-have features for the ultimate funeral plan
Here are a few that could make a big difference for you and your family:
- Having 24hr access to medical advice and information, seven days a week.
- HIV Assist is another great benefit that your funeral plan could have. This allows you to get preventative treatment for a possible HIV infection due to a traumatic event within the 72hr window period.
- Access to 24hr legal advice goes a long way, especially if there are legal problems that arise after the death of a loved one.
What else you should know?
There are a few details that you should know before taking out a family funeral policy. This information is to make sure you are aware of a few exclusion clauses across the board where funeral cover is concerned. They are:
- A 24-month suicide and self-inflicted injury clause.
- War, terrorist activity, rebellion, civil unrest or riot.
- Wilful and deliberate breaking of any criminal law that accelerates or increases the risk that an insured person might die.
- A nuclear event, biological or chemical warfare